“THE COLORADO ELEMENT” OPEN CALL
August 25 – September 18, 2022. Reception on September 9, 6-9PM
Art Gym Denver, in partnership with the Colorado Metalsmithing Association (CoMA) is excited to open a call for entry for an upcoming exhibition at the Art Gym Gallery titled The Colorado Element. Colorado is a state with rich geological and elemental features which has been explored in multiple ways by artists for many years. We are inviting artists and metalsmiths who live in Colorado to submit jewelry, sculpture, and wall pieces that exemplify, and are inspired by the diverse qualities of the state. We hope to present an exhibition of these works that demonstrates the quality, craftsmanship, and odes celebrating the unique and inspiring state of Colorado.
The Art Gym Gallery provides a space for artists to explore their creativity and push their process in ways that are difficult in other spaces in Denver. Thought-provoking, innovative, or otherwise experimental exhibitions are at the heart of the gallery. Art Gym offers shared community workspaces accessible for a monthly membership, at a fraction of the cost of a private studio. Our shared workspace keeps costs low and puts artists in a creative environment where others are making art in a variety of disciplines. Art Gym also offers a variety of programming to members and non-members throughout the year.
The Colorado Metalsmithing Association (CoMA) was established in 1994, to involve our members in a statewide exchange of creative and technical knowledge about the art of metalsmithing. CoMA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our membership includes a wide variety of professionals, educators, students and hobbyists, such as: jewelers, sculptors, blacksmiths, knifemakers and other professionals interested in supporting the metal arts. Through member events, our conference and shows, CoMA members enjoy sharing new techniques and creative endeavors. We believe that a strong artist community is essential to the development and growth of the metal arts in Colorado.
Free to submit up to three images of work for consideration.
Submit the following information to: email@example.com
Subject Line: “The Colorado Element” Open Call Submission
ENTRY & IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
Artworks submitted will be selected by a jury based on images submitted for entry. At no cost, artists may submit hi-res images of up to 3 metalsmithing works. All works submitted must be created with at least 50% metal in order to be considered. All works must be submitted with the following information: Title, Size, Materials, Price if for Sale, Year Created.
Artists must also submit a statement giving a brief overview of your work and process, which describes any special materials or techniques used.
For works submitted in the round, please collage multiple images together as one image. Please do not submit multiple angles of the same work as different images.
If there are any special requests for handling and installing the work, please include those as well upon submission.
Deadline for Entries: August 10, 2022
Notification to Artists: August 12, 2022
Event Dates: August 25 – September 18, 2022. Reception on September 9, 6-9PM
Artwork Delivery Date: No later than August 22, 2022
Return of Artwork: Work can be picked up at Art Gym September 19 – September 23. If work is shipped, it will ship out no later than September 23.
Artists who sell work will receive 70% of any sales. Art Gym Denver and CoMA will take the remaining 30% commission. All works do not have to be for sale.
Best in Show will be awarded a one year applicable CoMA Membership.
The show is open to Colorado metalsmith artists of all levels. If you live outside the state of Colorado, you are not eligible for this exhibition. All works must be original to the artist and have been completed within the last five years. Art Gym Denver and CoMA has the right to reject any metalsmith work at any time.
Accepted artists must ensure that the work is delivered or dropped off to Art Gym no later than Monday, August 22. Shipping of artworks is the responsibility of the artist. Works must be shipped in reliable and sturdy packaging that can be re-used for return shipping. Please include any special packing instructions if necessary. The artist is also responsible for return shipping, so please also include a return shipping label with your work.