The Create Award is a 6-month residency for recent graduates from creative disciplines (fine arts, digital art, performing arts, etc.). Selected candidates receive a 6-month membership at Art Gym Denver (a shared workspace for artists), and a final exhibition and/or performance in Art Gym’s professional gallery space.
What is the Create Award?
Who It's For
The Create Award is for recent graduates (within the past 2 years) from Art or Performing Arts programs. If you Graduated in Spring of 2016 or later, you’re eligible to apply in 2018.
Number of Recipients: 2
The goal of this residency is to support recently graduated artists in continued creation through access to equipment, mentoring and exhibitions. The first years out of art school is critical to the development of professional artistic practices. Artists who launch immediately into their chosen field are more likely to achieve success. The Create Award can endeavor to facilitate this launch.
What You Need To Do
Prepare a 500-1000 word proposal that outlines general goals and your intended direction for the culminating exhibition/performance. Be sure to include some visual examples or video, and a rough timeline of milestones for the project. Next, get a letter of recommendation from a faculty member and a couple of references, and you’re set.
(Pro Tip: Before you apply, it’s a good idea to stop by Art Gym or contact us to set up a tour so you’re familiar with the space you’ll be working and exhibiting/performing in.)
During the residency, the successful applicant will receive:
- 6 month membership at Art Gym Denver
- Use of on-demand equipment and workspaces*
- Help with strategy and scheduling to realize exhibition goals
- Ongoing planning and critique sessions with prominent artists and curators
- Materials stipend (TBD)
- Exhibition or Performance with opening reception
*some restrictions apply
- Submission Opens: May 1, 2018
- Submission Deadline: June 17, 2018 – 5pm
- Announcement of Winner: June 25, 2018
- Residency: July – December 2018
- Exhibition Dates: January 3 – 25, 2019
- Opening Reception: January 3, 2019, 5-8pm
Questions? Email email@example.com
How Do I Apply?
Please fill out the form to apply.